Friday, June 25, 2010

Digital Essay

The theme of my digital essay was 'great villians in history, how humanity always gets it wrong.' Basically the argument was that humanity is always mistakenly labelling people and monsters throughout history. The five arguments I used were the Smokers (waterworld), Alien (alien), The romans (real life), Wookies (star wars, real life?) and Vikings (IRL). Using a combination of video clips, images and a chart I set out to prove that these people/monsters were often looked at as being inappropriately evil. I also threw in some book quotes to prove my point.

I enjoyed arguing something in this style, the ability to use videos and images to prove my point is something that appeals to me. It made me feel at points like I was writing an article for Cracked.com or maybe the Onion, which felt excellent. It was also a welcome departure from the regular essays that I write constantly (it's all the history monster wants to eat).

Some difficulties encountered would be trying to keep everything concise, this is a common essay writing problem for me. I can often slip into tangents that don't serve the overall purpose of the essay.

No comments:

Post a Comment